POSITION TITLE: BRANCH LIBRARIAN, MONTGOMERY PUBLIC LIBRARY
SUPERVISOR: Director, Waseca-Le Sueur Regional Library System
This position serves as library administrator and supervises the operation of the Montgomery Public Library facility and personnel.
- Creates excellent customer experiences—making patrons feel welcome and providing positive and memorable patron experiences. Provides an inviting atmosphere for library patrons.
- Serves on the Young Adult/Adult Programming Team and the Children’s Programming Team. Plans, produces, and promotes original events and rotating branch kits. Runs lifelong learning events for all ages at the library. Identifies and utilizes skilled resource people to present programs and information.
- Hires library page and substitute staff. Supervises, trains, schedules, and evaluates library personnel.
- Establishes and instructs community members on library resources and technology. Answers computer and e-reader questions.
- Understands theories of adolescent learning and development and their implications for library service. Stays informed of current and emerging trends in librarianship.
- Provides reference and readers’ advisory for patrons. Keeps abreast of new materials for every age group and demonstrates a knowledge and appreciation of library materials. Encourages the use of materials and services through book talks, displays, reading lists, and other tools.
- Develops and maintains the library’s collection, including weeding and analyzing to determine needs.
- Assists with the administration of policies set by the Board of Trustees.
- Attends full staff meetings and other meetings as requested.
- Makes dynamic working relationships with local businesses and organizations, local government, and the Montgomery Area Friends of the Library in order to promote library services, and holds events outside of the library, helping the library reach beyond the library building’s walls to meet community needs.
- Keeps city administration and cleaning service informed of necessary building repairs, maintenance, and enhancement issues.
- Updates library computers.
- Assists with public relations activities, including maintaining library’s social media accounts.
- Checks materials in and out, renews and reserves materials, and takes meeting room and computer reservations.
- Processes fines, interlibrary loan materials, and new library cards. Oversees cash income.
- Prepares, processes, and distributes courier items.
- Collects statistics and prepares reports for Director.
- Performs other duties as assigned or apparent.
REQUIRED INTERPERSONAL SKILLS (ability to):
- Work independently and as part of a team.
- Work in a busy public service atmosphere with frequent interruptions.
- Manage library operations.
- Motivate and coordinate the work of library personnel.
- Communicate effectively.
- Apply time management skills.
- Maintain confidentiality and provide outstanding customer service.
- Approach position with professionalism, initiative, attention to detail, and tact.
- Maintain a balanced budget.
- Be flexible and continuously learn, unlearn, and relearn.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science. ALA preferred. OR Bachelor’s Degree in Education.
- Computer literacy with MS office proficiency
- Knowledge of library operations and library collection
- Customer service experience
- Ability to stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, push/pull up to 50 pounds, and lift up to 25 pounds.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply current technology to the position.
ANTICIPATED HIRING RANGE:
- health insurance, PERA, paid sick days, 12 paid holidays, and paid vacation. (4 hours of vacation per pay period, 4 hours of sick leave per pay period)
- 40 hours per week, to include day, evening, and weekend hours.
- One staff meeting a month, 8 months of the year
Please submit applications in the form of a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references by Friday, August 19th to:
Stacy Lienemann, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org, 507-835-3700 (fax), or via snail mail at:
Waseca Public Library
408 N State St
Waseca MN 56093